Thursday, January 15

Bitter Cold / Listen Better

Last night, it took me almost three hours to get home. I left downtown Cleveland shortly after 5pm. It took me one hour to get from 90th street to 32nd street by way of Carnegie. Interstate 90, which normally takes 25 minutes to get home, took about an hour and twenty. And then just as I saw freedom, my home exit, the exit ramp was covered in ice, closed and I was forced to go down 3 further exit ramps and backtrack home.

Many schools are closed today, as the temperature dips into single digits, and with the wind chill, well below zero. Driving conditions are dangerous, temperatures are dangerous and the only retreat is to hunker down and work hard to avoid the gloomy inevitable drive home tonight.

Mental note to self...pee before you leave work because if you don't, you'll regret it.

Oh how I wish my weekend plans included sun, sand and surf...Sigh...


Breakfast
1 cup orange juice
1 cup coffee with soy milk
Vitamin D
Fish Oil
Multi Vitamin
Baby Aspirin

Lunch
chicken salad, made fresh with organic chicken low fat mayo, Dijon mustard, green onions, celery, dill, salt and pepper laid on a bed or organic lettuce and carrot matchsticks coupled with a hard boiled egg (non caged / natural feed)
water

Dinner
whole wheat pasta tossed with red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, zuchinni, green onion, tomatoe, red wine vingar, eeoo, sesame seeds, feta cheese, a few chunks of cubed chicken breast and italian seasonings
whole wheat english muffin with natural low fat peanut butter
water

WorkOut
Legs and Back
Yoga

I think the combination of cardio and resistance training is starting to take effect. I am really hungry today. I started to munch on my breakfast at 10am. I think as I continue I will find that I am hungry in the morning and need to eat. I've had trouble finding my appetite in the morning but understand the importance of eating. The one day I did eat breakfast in the morning, I was not so hungry at night. That is helpful because I don't like to lay in bed with a grumbling belly. Its like I need to retrain my body from eating as much in the afternoon and evenings to eating smaller meals all day long. But, you see, the trouble is I can not force it. I know if I force it, this will just become another attempt. I am listening to what my body is telling me. It is telling me what it needs, how hard I can push it, and how it wants to be taken care of if I just listen to it.

An interesting self observation, yesterday afternoon I was really thirsty. I kept telling myself to get some water but kept moving with my daily frantic pace. Meetings, Analysis, Reports, Queries, Presentations...there is always so much to be done and so many people to connect with and communicate with that I often don't stop to meet my own needs. When I did get a few minutes to get the glass of water, I told myself tea would be better because it has antioxidants. Then I later questioned...why would you not just have the water? Why are you challenging what your body is telling you it needs. So I listen to it, but must be mindful that I can't be too busy to hear what it is saying to me.

No comments: