Tuesday, January 6

1200 Calories a Day

As a fellow blogger now knows, I subscribe to About.com. Of all the diet mediums out there, I find this site to be very informative and scientific in their approach to the management of health, diet and nutrition.

About.com educated me to understanding that food is really all about providing energy for your body. Energy in which you expend. Your height, activity level, genetic disposition, area in which you live, excitability factor, etc all play a role in your bodys need for daily caloric intake.

For everyone, there is a mathematicl equation that can help you determine the calorie intake that would:
A) sustain your current weigh
B) gain weight and
C) lose weight

(If youd like to determine yours, go to About.com)

It is true, that no matter what your circumstance a normal, relatively healthy adult will undoubtedly lose weight by restricting themselves to 1200 calories a day. Its my "go to" diet when I know I've strayed too far and need to realign and be reminded that my food is energy and necessity, not an indulgence.

Now dont get me wrong, you must treat your body too along the way (once a week) which is the motivation to be discplined at most times.

I expect my P90x workout to arrive on the 9th. In preparation for the workout, I began today restricting my daily caloric intake to 1200 calories.

To keep me disciplined, I am going to log my food intake and measure the fat / calories / carbs / protein / and sugar each day.

In 60 days, I will post a picture of my body in the bikini I will be sporting on South Beach this March, in celebration of St. Patty's Day.


Tuesday January 6th

Breakfast:
1 cup of green tea (antioxidants)
1 cup of silk soy milk (protein and estrogen)
1000 mg Fish Oil
400 ie Vitamin D
Multi-vitamin
Baby Asprin

Lunch:
15 baby carrots (beta carotene, vitamin a)
6 oz nonfat yogurt (calcium)
handful of baked chips (fiber)
water

Dinner:
3 pieces tuna sashimi
3 pieces yellowtail sashimi
3 pieces salmon sashimi...your welcome Sushi Rock
2 cups spinach salad with teaspoon eeoo and dash of balsamic
water

4 comments:

ANG* said...

good luck!
i used about.com last year to jump start and train myself. i love it as well. yesterday i logged back in for the first time in months. its time for round two!

Rumpole said...

I find that you need to take things one step further- you need to fuel your body based on your activities.

For instance, the experts say you need to eat protein within 20 minutes of exercise. I tend to agree that you need to eat within 20 minutes of exercise to obtain the full benefits of the exercise I just find that protein is overrated and comes with certain health detriments.

I find that if you fuel your body with small meals over the day, it is better than one or two meals.

I also believe as Lance Armstrong's trainer likes to say, "you should only exercise on days when you breathe."

I find that certain calorie facts are myths. For instance diet soda. It will kill you. It has no calories, but it will ruin any body and any diet. Just because it has no calories does not mean it is a diet food. When I gave up fake sweetners a few years ago I lost ten pounds without even trying. When I feel the overwhelming need to drink a soda, about once a month, I just drink a coke and be done with it.

Agave is a great sweetner and so is Xylitol- which despite its chemical sounding name is made from a tree root, is 100 percent natural, and tastes just like sugar. Take a lemon, take a lime squeeze them into a large container, put in cold water and agave or xylitol and drink a gallon a day and see how it affects your body. Lemons balance the alkalinity in your body and that is essential.

What I am trying to say is that beyond calories, your body needs to work well. if you take away the chemicals and eat pure foods, you shouldn't need to worry too much about the calories and you will be an eye-turning traffic stopping blogger in that bikini come February.

Good luck. Try Rumpole's Lemondae. It works.

Audrey said...

Rump,

It sounds like taking care of yourself is important to you. Its funny how easy it is to get caught up in family or work or life in general and give give give to those things and not ourselves.

The simplest greatest things we can do for ourselves is to be mindful of what we put in and do to our bodies and how we take care of it...inside and out. By doing that we always come out the winner.

Your concepts are interesting and some of them new to me. You must be an avid reader.

Ive never been a fan of sodas, but I am horribly addicted to non calorie, fake sweetener softdrink packets that you can pour easily into a bottled water. I drink them all day to help curb my appetite. I also drink too much coffee and use real processed sugar to sweeten. Ugh! In the summertime, I like to make green tea by boiling water and chilling over ice. No sweetener. But in the wintertime I do not find it as satisfying because of its popularity as a summertime treat. So I turn to ugly fake sweeteners.

To be honest, I had not realized that a all natural plant sweetener existed!

I too wonder about the impact of the chemicals in my body by consuming processed / packaged food and actually feel very strongly that these things contribute dramatically to cancer.

My employer, who is a local well known healthcare organization recently paired with a local grocery store who is know to be fresh and organic.

They have created a list of things to stock your pantry with that are all natural, organic, and limited in anything bad (bad cholesterol / sodium / bad fat) and loaded with all thats good (multi grain / made with wheat flour, etc). This is my motivitation to take care of myself and limit my dining out expense. its a two-fer.

When I am grocery shopping this weekend, Ill be picking up the lemons, limes and Xylitol to try Rump's lemonade.

Im also contemplating trying to go 50% plant based and am in the market for a decent juicer.

Is it a violation of diet to spike Rump's lemonade occasionally with Russian Vodka?

Mary Ashley said...

im doing the green tea thing to... i miss coffee so much, but my boob doctor is much happier with me for increasing my antioxidant intake.