Saturday, February 7

To J

This morning I’m preparing myself for a wedding shower. What seems to be my twelfth wedding shower in two years. One of those wedding showers for my brilliant brother and his absolutely gorgeous and amazing now wife, the others for friends. Some friends I keep up with, some friends I have not seen but a few times in the past years, but the reunion and participation in something so fantastic in their life truly is a treat.

Today is the wedding shower for my friend J, and I could not be more happy to support her and spend this special day with her.

J and I go back to the age of nine. We have barely kept in touch over the years but each time we see each other we pick up right where we left off. Anticipating this shower, Ive taken a trip down memory trip with J. The drinks that accompany our conversation are the catalyst to our weeping childhood retreat, her typical choice margarita, mine vodka.

The memory I remember most is how she and I used to play on the “Slip ‘n Slide” in the summer. Both coming from very financially modest families, our imaginations were what inspired our activities. The “Slip ‘n Slide”, outside of the “Green Box” at the park around the corner, was about as good as it got and we did not feel slighted in the least bit.

We soaked up (pun intended) every bit of fun we could squeeze out of sliding on our bellies over the green grass and the occasional rock, rightly earning our bruises, in an attempt to stifle off the summer heat. This game included a running lead, a length equal to at least half the length of the slide. “Ready, Set, Go!” we would shout to each other. The first taking off, running as fast as we could, pumping our arms, gritting our teeth, speed was critical. Just as we approached the edge of that glorious yellow wonder, we’d launch from our toes, land on our belly, and take a wild ride all the way to the end. It was important, you know, to spread your arms out before you hit the end to stop yourself from going beyond the end. The result was worse than a rug burn from wrestling our brothers.

We would giggle in delight, meet at the foot of the slide, and turn to each other and say, “Nice to see you here. What a qa-winkie-dink.” And over and over and over, until we felt we would lose from our belly our Wonder white bread, Jif peanut butter and Smucker jelly sandwiches (hers grape, mine strawberry), which, oh by the way, we would add potato chips onto and then fake to mom that the bread was stale and crunchy. Chocolate milk to boot. It did not get any better than that.

Today J, I dedicate my post to you. I can’t wait to see your face when you open up my gift, a 9-cup food processor…and a “Slip ‘n Slide”. See you in the summer to test it out.

6 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cocaine Princess said...

When I came to your post today and heard You Are My Sunshine I was reminded of a childhood memory. You Are My Sunshine was the one song my mom would sing to me every morning to awaken me. She'd sit on the side of my bed singing softly. There was never any need for me to have an alarm clock.

Audrey your writing is so descriptive not only can I picture you and "J" but I can even feel all the excitement and joy you felt while Slipping 'N Sliding!

I was probably the only little kid growing up who never liked peanut butter and jelly. I always liked having Cheese Whiz on toast.....and I still do.

South Florida Lawyers said...

I echo CP on the writing, but I have to ask this -- what, no dishwashing soap?

That's the only way to really get some velocity on the slide (maybe it's a guy thing!)

Audrey said...

Princess, that is a lovely thought of you and your mom. You should think of that moment with her when you have trouble sleeping, instead of staring at the green numbers on the clock. I can email you the link on flashfetish for the song if youd like.
As for the Cheese Wiz on toast, I dont buy that you can still get away with that and have the rockin figure youve got. And if that is the case, Im even more jealous.
Looking fabulous as always snow white.
Hugs.

Audrey said...

SFL - that is hysterical. So turns out lawyers are smart AND fun! Ill pass the idea along to J. The dishwashing soap should pair nicely with our summer barbeque, yellow slide and cold cocktails. Ill take pics to share.

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

I sent you the link with the Plain Dealer article to your e-mail address. Congrats on the free publicity.

Craig