Wednesday, February 18

To Audrey Jean

I remember my grandmother fondly, even though I lost her when I was young. The mother to my father, she was a lady of simple needs, great persuasion in the most subtle way, modest and giving – to those in need and to her family.

She was short, light skin and blond, my build, complexion and hair color most definitely from her genes. Ovarian cancer was her fate.

I remember her teaching me how to care for myself. How to bathe, how to dress, how to sit like a lady. She used to make me oatmeal for breakfast. The place sitting complete with the bowl, a spoon, a vitamin, a glass of orange juice and two small creamer holders…one with milk and one with brown sugar. The delicious and appropriate toppings for steel cut oatmeal.

She always drove what I called a fancy car. A Cadillac, a Lincoln. The typical car for a sixty something grandmother who was fit, good looking and active in the community. Her car always smelled new. She used to say,

“There will be two things in life you will always have to pay for. A house and a car. And you should get a new car every two years before you have to start fixing things on it.”

She worked as a bookkeeper for local businesses and kept my grandfather and her financials in line. She was loved by her sons, cherished by her husband and respected by those whose lives she touched.

She died during the winter months. When this time of year comes by, I feel the overwhelming loss of her. Winter months are a strain on my parents, my father in particular, for it is these months that remind him of her slow death. Endless trips to the hospital and her pain.

I’ll stop by to visit her grave, drive past the house she once lived in on Hillard Blvd, and remembering how she would tuck me in at night when I’d sleep over. Ill stop by the perfume counter at the mall, and purchase Oscar De La Renta, the scent she always wore.

I miss you grandma. For it is now that I miss, not just your warm oatmeal, but your good advice. There are times when I feel lost and unfound.

Saints of God come to her soul
Come to meet her angels of the Lord
Receive her soul and present her to God the Most High
Now that she has passed from this life
May she live on in your presence

All my love goes to you today Audrey Jean.

6 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cocaine Princess said...

When you watch a loved one slowly deteriorate right in front of your eyes and there’s nothing you can do about it you’re never really the same person again. You want to fall apart but you can't because your loved one is counting on your strength to conquer the illness. So you put on a brave face and a smile which eventually takes its’ toll, draining you physically and emotionally. You learn to look at the world differently and realize every breath you take is precious.

Cancer is a bitchy, bitchy disease.

So you were named after your grandma. I can tell by this post she played an important role in your life, Audrey.

Anonymous said...

You’re a sweet girl Princess. Pity some people {and when I say “people” I mean attorneys} have the wrong impression about you.

Audrey said...

Hi Princess. Can I ask how long ago it was that you lost your mother? Although the pain subsides, the feeling of loss never does go away does it?

I'm sorry you lost your mother to cancer, but I am certain the strength you showed through her journey made her proud.

Since you asked, and I do not want to lie my first name is not Audrey, is a pseudo for this blog.

Although my first name does begin with an 'A'.

Yes, my grandmother did play an important role in my life, as I am sure your mother did as well for you.

May we treasure their memories and keep them within our hearts.

Big Hug Snow White,
A

P.S. Every moment in life is precious...and Im glad our paths have crossed.

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching post. It is not easy watching someone slowly die right before your eyes. Your post made me reflect on the two grandparents I've lost as well. Like you said, I continue to treasure the memories of time spent with them. I miss them every day.

South Florida Lawyers said...

Very moving. I too experienced the loss of grandparents and are watching the decline of my parents in real time.

Your post was lovely, reflective, and made me call my parents to boot!