Wednesday, February 4

Playboy Much?

When you were a kid, at what age did you begin to become aware of sexuality? When did you know that sex was something that existed, to be desired, to experience?

My father was an avid fan of Playboy. When we were kids, it wasn’t until I was 12 that I started to ask why a particular magazine in the mail came in a plastic cover that was black. I was on to my mother and fathers secrecy…I just didn’t know what it was.

My mom had the most amazing grand walk in closet. The closet was full of pretty colorful clothes, jewelry, handbags, scarfs, stockings, hats. It smelled like her perfume. A pretty musky scent. On the occasional opportunity I had to sneak into her closet and play dress up, I took full advantage. This normally required my mother and father to be invited to a wedding, a night out of the town with their friends, or a dinner date! I would convince the babysitter that my mom didn’t care if I tried on her clothes…played dress up. She didn’t really, but mom would scold me for being persistent with the babysitter rather than just obeying her.

So I would organize my mothers things. Fold her stockings nicely, try on a hat. I loved to try on her high heels. I used to pretend I was older, and of course sneak in a tube of lipstick and look at myself in the full mirror in the closet.

One time, I was fumbling around, and noticed the lower half of a small enclosed area went further back than I have ever noticed. Almost like into a secret attic area. I scrunched down and wiggled myself back there. Once I got through, the ceiling rose again and I could stand up. It was an attic, just behind the closet.

There were boxes everywhere. It was dark, smelled musty and kind of hot. I couldn’t find a light so I ran back to my bedroom and got my flashlight. The trusty flashlight my dad put in my room in case the lights ever went out. I knew exactly where it was if I was ever scared... and needed a night light.

I ran back excitedly to the attic area and flicked the on switch of the flashlight. I remember thinking briefly that it was boxes of money. I don’t know why, I just remember wondering how my mom and dad always had money. I had several friends whose parents couldn’t even swing a 5 dollar bill for taco bell for lunch. When I looked more closely, I realized they were boxes and boxes of books.

As I went through the books, I came across a variety of topics. Nursing books, law enforcement books, old cookbooks, fiction novels, dictionaries. Then I stumbled upon something interesting. A box filled with old magazines whose cover had pictures of naked ladies, and really pretty naked ladies. I opened up the book and could not believe my eyes. There were naked, and look like my mom naked, but their busts bigger, and the waists smaller.

I remember the feeling overcoming me excitement. Not in a sexual way, but in a girlie way. It was as if I knew that someday I would look like that, and I couldn’t wait. Ah ha, now I knew that those magazines were covered in that black plastic. I sat down, and read the magazine. The articles were weird. Things I didn’t understand but could tell there were funny things to adults. I liked most to read the stuff the girl who was in the centerfold wrote about herself…and they always had the most bubbly hand writing.

As I heard the babysitter coming up the stairs calling my name out wondering what I was doing upstairs in my moms closet for so long, I hustled to put the magazines back just so, turned off the flash light, hid it under a pile of stockings and pretended like I was trying on a hat.

“What are you doing in here” the babysitter asked.

“Nothing, just pretending like Im a big girl” I responded.

“But you already are a big girl” she said.

“But not a really big girl” I replied.

She laughed, grabbed my hand and took my downstairs and made me some popcorn. She was the coolest babysitter, Missy.

From that day forward, any and every opportunity I had to sneak into that closet and look at the pictures and read I took full advantage. My curiosity was overwhelming.

8 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...

Whenever my mom would get ready to go out I would raid her closet and try on her shoes and dresses. Before she would leave she always dabbed a little perfume behind my ears. I think it's just something all us girls do when we're little.

I own one Playboy magazine. It's the special commemorative issue dedicated to Anna Nicole Smith. It's still sealed in the original plastic packaging. I was a big fan of hers when she modeled for Guess Clothing. It's absolutely heart-breaking what happened to her.

South Florida Lawyers said...

Really nice writing.

It's true, I guess most of us have had some childhood experiences with Playboy. In my case my Dad had a walk-in closet, and a stack of them buried underneath some shoes and clothes.

It's funny, as I sit here now I recall the articles more than the pictures, great pieces by Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal, William F. Buckley, humor by Steve Martin and George Carlin, political stuff, and of course advise on how to set up a stereo or buy a new suit.

Anna Nicole, a great tragedy, when I was younger it was another blonde Playmate whose career ended tragically -- Dorothy Stratton.

Audrey said...

Princess, how lovely that you have that wonderful memory of your mother. When I get upset with my mom, I read a few of my favorite posts of yours to remind myself that I need to make the most of our time. Thank you for that gift.

May Anna rest in peace.

Audrey said...

Thank you SFL.

As for the playboys in your dad's closet...classic.
There was a section in the front of the playboy, advisory or something like that. I liked to read those. People's personal experiences.

Another piece of the SFL author's mystery man puzzle. An idea of your age.

Have you checked out the movie Star 80('83) with Mariel Hemingway?

Cocaine Princess said...

Thank you for your words Audrey.

My mom was a member of The Playboy Club in Miami and the one out in Montreal way back in the day. Each member was given a gold keycard about the size of a credit card. One year they were given gold keys. She always use to let me wear it on a chain when I was little even though I had no idea what it symbolized. And to this day I still wear it around my neck.

If you look at my post from Oct 22-2008 "My Sugar Is Raw, Sticky & Sweet" (Madonna concert) there is a casual shot of me holding a glass of wine and you can sort of see the key.

South Florida Lawyers said...

CP, what an interesting story -- your mom sounds like she was an amazing person.

Audrey, I have seen that film, it's a little hard to watch though. I prefer to think of her as the cute and charming ingenue from Peter Bogdanovich's They All Laughed, her last screen role.

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

I like your blog. I saw that the Plain Dealer mentioned it and wanted to check it out. I found myself reading a number of your posts.

Wanted to comment and will certainly visit back.

Thanks,
CK
a.k.a. The Constant Complainer

Audrey said...

Thank you CK. I too enjoy your blog.