Tuesday, June 16

When You Have The Time, Drop A Dime

History will tell you that ladies tend to like talking on the phone more than men.

As pre-teens, we obsess over having our own phone in our room preferably and our own line if daddy will foot the extra expense. Outside of wanting to feel like a supercool chick when our friends came over, the privacy of our own phone line was AWESOME. We could talk to our girlfriends and our boy crushes into the wee hours of the morning. Talk included parents, teachers, friends, boys…boys…boys, fashion, makeup, what the heck was going on with our bodies…just to name a few.

As we grow older and mature, those long phone calls turn into the desire to be with someone. The phone calls are exchanged for nights out with our friends, after parties, bom-fires and rolling around town with whomever was lucky enough to have a car.

As I have recently gotten to know a special someone, I have taken pleasure in the warm fuzzy feeling I have with just a simple phone call. I feel again like a gitty high schooler waiting for her boyfriend to call. My voice goes up several octaves and I twirl my hair and tilt my knees inward. I giggle at every silly comment and laugh too hard at his jokes. I accept his every compliment with sincerity and repay compliments with the same sincerity.

For those of you out there who are married, in a long term relationship or perhaps wishing to get closer to a special someone, do not underestimate the power of a simple phone call.

A quick hello during lunch to let them know you are thinking of them. An afternoon call squeezed in between meetings to tell your lover that you can’t wait to see them when you get home. Or perhaps a call on your ride home to say, “I love you and I'll be home soon"!

When you have the time, drop a dime…to the one your with (or want to be)!

4 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...

While reading this post a song starting playing in my head- Kiss Me Thru The Phone by Souljah Boy. Really sweet song with a similar message.

I hope whoever your someone special is, realizes how special you are. Good luck.

No matter your age the "warm fuzzy feeling" you write about is a wondrous feeling to have isn't it?

Christina Bledsoe said...

Hi. I saw your link on The Constant Complainers blog roll. I agree with what you're saying. I happen to be one of the few women who hates to talk on the phone.

@Cocaine Princess That song by Souljah Boy is really sweet.

Audrey said...

CP - Love you forever girl. Those warm fuzzies are the so good kind of feeling that you never want them to go away.

CB - Welcome to Simple Sophistication. Glad you stopped by and commented. Isn't in person so much better? :)

That that song too.

The Constant Complainer said...

Hi Audrey, I'mmmmm back. Sorry that I was away from your blog for a few days, girl. As we speak, I'm reading all of your previous posts and getting caught up.

I'm glad Christina checked out your site by the way. She's awesome and you'll enjoy her site - The Star Celeb - as well.

I remember the "getting to know you" phone conversations you mentioned. Very fond memories. I'm a talker, so that was always fine with me. But like you said, it's the little calls that make a difference - the hi's, the how are you's. The warm fuzzy feelings.

Very sweet.