Monday, December 29

Free Falling

Someone near and dear to my heart is going through a personal struggle these days. The kind of personal struggle when you realize the person whom you fell in love with once, is no longer the person you love.

Being a part of this individuals journey has caused me to reconnect with the idea of a relationship...something I have not played a part in for years. This is my choice and my journey, but this persons circumstance has required me to revisit a similar time in my life.

If you ask one the defintion of love, chances are you will get a variety of responses. Its a relative question. To some its as simple as someone who can provide. To another, it may be someone who always puts them first. To another, it may be someone who makes them feel complete. But what I find to be the most interesting part of feeling love, is that it is forever evolving and changing. I see the challenge of a relationship not to be the love. This emotion will only exist if you sustain the connection. The challenge in a relationship is to stay emotionally, spiritually, physically and intellectually connected often enough and deep enough to recognize each others shifts / changes / interests...this simple act, although very challenging when you can easily fall victim to the day to day humdrum of life, I believe to be the most important piece in sustaining love. You must recognize that people constantly grow and change, and staying connected through that journey allows you to grow and change together and sustain the love.

Love to me is an appreciation for another, not for just who they are, but who they have been and who they will become. Some of this may be good and some of this may be bad, but in the end, youve taken on a piece of someone and given up a piece of yourself.

This person is my life will find their way no doubt, because they are chasing their dream, keeping priorities in check but not allowing what they know to be their personal growth be stifled by the idea that..."This is just the way life is."

As Ive hunkered into my deep personal self these past few years, to protect myself from potentially being hurt I feel refreshed and revived by visiting my past through my friends journey.

Tonight as I lay my head on my pillow, and turn on Tom Petty, and ask him to remind me to be free, I make myself a vow... Like a wake drifting past a boat at sea, I will leave the past behind.

To A New Year, A New Beginning, A New Sense of Self...I am free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmEPj7ofJY

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This post is dead on -- you're right about everything in here, at least in my opinion.

It's so easy to fall in love. Those who think that's enough to sustain the relationship in the long run always get a rude awakening...

Your friend is lucky to have such unwavering support from you. And they know it.

Audrey said...

Yes Elle! This kind of love:

http://tumblr.franklieu.com/post/67267511/the-sister-of-the-bride-was-hiding-in-the-bushes

Rumpole said...

O! she doth teach the morning to burn bright.
She hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows, As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.

The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand, And, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand.


I've always felt that love should make you feel like that.

Audrey said...

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?