Saturday, December 27

Tampa, West Palm or Fort Lauderdale

This morning I wake up in Cleveland hoping that the way I was feeling last night would improve and not get worse.

Mother Nature has bestowed upon this great city of Cleveland some interesting weather the past few weeks. We started with temps in the 20's -30's, dipped to 5 - 10, then fell below zero as winds from the north dropped the temp with wind chills into the negative teens, then back up to 50 and here this morning we settled into
30's. Lovely.

Outside of the minor annoyance that getting dressed in the morning requires the routine of watching the morning weather report, there too is the annoyance of the ailments that come along with quickly changing temps. When I parked in a garage at work that was adjacent to my building, I did not require myself to watch the weather. I could wear whatever and quickly rush into the building with a light sweater and not feel the winter effects. Now that my office has moved and the parking garage is several blocks away and a 15 minute walk through downtown, I must be more meticulous in my morning routine. Do I wear my feather down water resistant coat, or a long wool one? Do I need dorn the cap and gloves, or can I sneak by with just a scarf?

I felt the cold begin to settle into my chest on Wednesday. "Good thing I got that flu shot" I thought to myself. I quickly incorporated a zinc mineral supplement to try to chase it away. I should have been mindful enough to also steer clear of the germ cesspool at my gym, but I just love the way my body feels after 45 minutes on the stair master. Vitamin C and fever reducer completed my morning cold cocktail. Then one at noon and one just before bed. The little bugger came on strong yesterday afternoon at work, and today, its full blown. I lounge here in my bed, equipped with my laptop, my house phone, my warm cuddly cat, sore throat lozenges, liquids, and the makings of my cold cocktail standing at attention on my nightstand ready for duty, and contemplate my scheduled 4am flight tomorrow to visit my favorite destination, Marco Island.

All the books in my office have been read. Santa didnt bring my any new ones this year. So today I will scour the Internet for interesting material that can captivate the audience of one.

For this...this very scenario...challenges me to be mindful of my choice to return home to Cleveland after living in weather bliss is Miami. I can expect my mother to come over this morning. She will care for me like when I was a child. She will make a fuss by looking at each bottle and assessing my standards for personal care of this cold. She will critique as if Ive got it all wrong, but add only a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup. She will act as if she realiged my entire routine, and I will allow her to know that the only thing that will have made me feel better today was her taking care of me. This is an experience that is hard to surrender. This simple act of kindness and love reminds me of why Im here. My niece too will be over later today, checking in on her Auntie. Her four year old proper insisting she will feed my kitty for me, and then ask where I have hidden the cookie jar. My goodness her sweet tooth! My nephew, his two year old proper will adorn me by blowing me a kiss, a good and snotty kiss, most likely the origination of my cold. My older brother will force me to get out of bed to "fight if off". I can always count on him to challenge me. My younger brother will phone from Chicago, most likely thinking Im near my death as that is how my mother will portray it..."man that sucks" is what he will say. And my response will be, "not as bad and working in that f'ing lab 15 hours a day...but oh right, youll have a PHD. Did I tell you how amazing that is." He'll laugh with embarrassement and pride. Ill think to myself, he got the brains and the looks! His heart is so kind.

Today will be a good day. I will be reminded of this amazing family I have in my life, and tomorrow jet set, cold and all to South Florida and revisit Audrey's passions. The best things in my life experiences within two days.

There is a third experience that Id like to supplement, but time will have to tell the fate of that desire. It requires me to be patient, open minded, and creative. I love that way it makes me feel whether Im close or far.

When Im vacationing in Marco Island, Ill revisit my desire to move to Florida. Asking myself, Tampa, West Palm or Fort Lauderdale

5 comments:

Rumpole said...

Move wherever your heart leads you. Just skip the Flu shot. It's a sham. They have to develop next season's vaccine based on an educated guess of what type of flu will emerge. If they guess wrong- like they did this year, the vaccine is of no value. And lord knows what it is doing to your body.

Eat mostly raw foods and raw squeezed vegetable juices (except when on dates of course) and your body's immune system will do just fine. When you do get a cold, fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juice fasts until you feel better. A little water in which potatoes have been boiled as a supplement is ok as well.

But fasting heals the body. Just Google "Death begins in the Colon" and see where it takes you.

Now you know I'm a food nut.

HR

Audrey said...

Oh my Rump, you think the flu shot is a sham? I can tell you have not lived in wintery climates in some time. Ive done my fair share of yearly research (taken it, not taken it) and Ive become a believer. Perhaps a coincidence. Although I will agree, I too do not want to know what it is doing to my body. Regardless, this wintery weather takes a toll on ones body.

Pharmacologic assistance is a quick fix isn't it?
Having performed detox on my body before, I am aware of the most recent excitment surrounding colon cleansing / detoxing. I dont know if youve become familar with that man with the little moustache who airs a show each Sunday discussing whether or not the benefits are fact or fiction. It makes my head spin. What Ive concluded is very scientific..f there is shit like that in my body, I want it out. Its a proven theory. Shit inside your body, should be outside of your body.
Ive never tried raw squeezed vegetables. I enjoy fresh squeezed orange juice, and at best when oranges are in season. A little water in which potatoes have been boiled...Ill have to try that along with raw squeezed vegetables.
Meet you at the Biscayne Bay bridge tomorrow at 5am for your morning jog. Ill bring the celery/carrot juice spiked with flax seed oil.

Rumpole said...

No can do. I'm in mountain country. Don't know about little man with a moustache, but I do know about an Israeli woman in Miami Beach that does cleansing and she's the real deal. Google Dr. Ester Ben Zion/Miami Beach.

Audrey said...

Sounds like a great excuse to visit Miami...

Mary Ashley said...

Fort Lauderdale. Period.