Tuesday, April 28

A Celebration Fit For A Family

My family is my single greatest source of strength. During my facial lawsuit, my mom, dad and brothers were always there to listen to me babble, weep, and find my way through a complex legal process. They never judged, criticized or gave me 'tough love'. They just listened and understood.

I have not ever been one to be able to express my emotional feelings. When I was younger, I used to write my mom and dad letters and put them in envelopes and leave them on their pillows.

I invited my family to a long weekend in Florida. My first choice was Marco Island, but it turns out we landed in Naples. We stayed at a beautiful resort in old downtown Naples. Walking distance to 5th Avenue restaurants, shopping and the beach.


My mom and I fly in late Wednesday evening. We arrived at Fort Myers shortly after 730pm and drove to Naples. After we deplaned, we stopped at the rental car check in to get our car. We walked to pick up the keys to the car and we were greeted by a young, cheesy boy by the name of Chris. We had rented an SUV so that we could fit our family in it. Chris did not seem to think that our SUV was large enough. So after showing us three different SUV models, all three coincidentally an upgrade, I assured him the Nissan Exterra would suit us just fine. When that was not the right answer, he then switched to try to upgrade us to a Lincoln Town Car. He was pressure selling. I began to laugh, after we moved onto the Town Car. I said, "Chris, listen, the Exterra is fine. Let's get this paperwork completed so we can get out of here."

But no...we were just beginning. Chris moved onto insurance. Now...call me crazy, but I've never been one to understand the purpose of rental car insurance. Perhaps its because I have a good driving record with no major accidents, or perhaps its the comfort that I have the same auto insurance that my great grandparents, grandparents and parents have, thus understanding we are fully covered and fully vested. No one in our family has ever had a need to file a major claim. So, basically, I'm protected. Chris tried to pressure sell my mom and I to getting car insurance. He told of us a story about a woman who drove out, totaled the car and ended up in the hospital with not only medical bills but Enterprise rental car bills because she did not get the rental car insurance and her insurance did not cover her.

I couldn't believe my ears. As Chris told his story, I could see the anxiety, worry and fear just build in my mother. I told my mother to sit in the car while I finished the paperwork. As she closed the door to the car, I looked Chris straight in the eyes.



I said, "Do you understand what you are doing here?"



His response, "What?".



I responded, "Chris, you are scaring my mother with your pressure sell techniques for me to buy auto insurance."



I continued, "Understand me here and now. I am not buying the auto insurance. I plan on bringing this car back just as I am taking it."



His response, "Well you can't predict what is going to happen. You could have an accident." I insisted, "You are being a real downer Chris. We are on vacation. No deal, now let's sign the paperwork so we can get out of here."



Chris then continues to ask me about my deductible amount and the name of my insurance agency.



My response, "My insurance is Coniglio. I am not telling you my deductible. If something happens, we can discuss the particulars. See you Monday."

As we drove off, he walked away shaking his head at us. Yea, I thought thinking to myself, you thought we looked like suckers when we walked up to that booth, but no deal. I guess his revenge was giving us the cherry red Nissan Xterra that you could spot 5 miles away. I am not a red car kind of girl. I like the least amount of attention possible on the road, because I have a lead foot.





We had a nice drive to Naples. When we arrived at the resort, we checked in and settled down. The room requests were well documented and the suite was perfect. Feather pillows, marina view, third floor, not near the elevator, extra towels and a balcony. The master suite which my mother and I shared was overlooking the marina and had an access to the balcony. The second bedroom was situated at the front of the unit, giving my younger brother and his wife privacy...perfect.

Mom and I woke up early Thursday. We made coffee and tea and sipped it while watching the boaters get ready to go out for the day. The marina police strolled through and visited the boaters. Saying hello and checking in to see how long they planned on being around. The resort had condos that were owned and came with a boat slip. Obviously Floridians escaping their hefty schedules and responsibilities by coming to this escape.








After we took the scenery in, we went to the grocery store and stocked up on beer, sparkling wine, bottled water, snacks and the fixings for cold cut sandwiches - the obvious and easy and necessary guy food. Then, onto the airport to pick up my older brother. Thursday night we dined at Tin City and took in the Gulf view. Munching on stone cold crab and hush puppies and sipping on cold beers.

Onto Friday. This morning, however, we had three of us. Breakfast and coffee on the balcony. A quick stop at the gym. A Friday trip to pick up my little brother and his wife, an afternoon at the 12th Avenue Pier Beach and dinner was delivered pizza from a nearby pizza joint called Dino's. Neapolitan pizzeria style pizza. Delicious! We rented the movie, Burn After Reading. I had already seen it, but my little brother had not. Knowing his sense of humor, I knew we would all enjoy watching it together because its so funny.




Saturday, we woke up early, had bagels, cream cheese, coffee, tea and orange juice on the balcony. After, we quickly retreated to the resort pool. My older brother and I went early and had energy massages. It had been so long since I had a massage and I forgot how good it feels. We met my mom and brother and sister in law at the pool. It had a large swimming pool, a waterfall, a slow moving river that you could float in innertubes on, a lap pool, and an adult only quiet zone pool. We all opted for the lounge chairs adjacent to the quiet zone pool. Many drinks and lunch later, 4pm quickly fell upon us, and we retreated back to the room to shower and get ready for a trip back into Fort Myers to see, Fiddler on the Roof, at the playhouse. A treat from mom which began by feasting on a boat of sushi (sashimi / nigiri )and a few extra surprises (don't care for the eel) http://sushithaitoo.com/sushi_thai_menu.pdf. Dinner and the play was fantastic! One of Topol's final performances. I still have the melody, "If I Were A Rich Man" in my head.


Sunday, I woke, lounged around, and jumped in the car about noon to take my brother back to the airport and then drive to Miami to visit a friend, my old neighborhood and visit Bobby to check on apartment availability. What I enjoyed most about this trip was seeing my friend. He gave me a tour of a beautiful new home he purchased on South Beach. He is in the fun phase of selecting furniture and designing his personal space. He has great taste. The place is amazing and will be stunning when his renovations are complete. I left with the scent of his aftershave on my tshirt, and it was a pleasant treat for a tough ride home. A two hour trip became three and a half hours after I75 closed due to fires in the Everglades. I had never seen so many gas stations that I refused to stop at to pee, because they were so shady.

Monday morning came quickly and before I knew it I was back at home.

What I have not been able to demonstrate in this post are the great conversations I had with my brothers, my sister in law and my mother. Some of the conversations quick and easy. Some of the conversations deep and involved, complex. There is no greater joy for me these days than to feel close to the people I love most, my family.

What a great way to start the spring season! To Mom, Jeff, Dave and Lisa...thank you for such a fantastic weekend. I love you all very much! Oh, also, turns out the rental car was returned just fine - no accidents. So take that Chris!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks YOU for treating us! It was an amazing trip -- we all needed it. I just wish it could have been longer.

Cocaine Princess said...

The whole car insurance situation reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

Even though you had a short vacation you managed to do quite a bit and have a load of fun with your family.

I really like the picture you posted of the resort.

The Constant Complainer said...

I am so glad that you had a nice vacation with the family. It's amazing what R&R can do for you.

In Ohio, as long as you have car insurance (which we all need to have, since it's required), you're typically auto-covered for rentals. It pisses me off when they push that crap, because 99% of the people don't need it. LOL.

Again, welcome back to the blogging world my friend.