Monday, March 2

Poly(ester) Is My Friend

Perhaps it was the ten years of Catholic schooling or perhaps it is the reminder of my Grandma Z, I don't know for sure; but I have a crush on polyester.

I did not realize this until recently. It's been a long while since I have took inventory of my wardrobe. I've gone a year avoiding buying new clothes, an attempt to work towards a minimalist lifestyle.

I've always been very partial to cotton, linen, wool and silk. My addiction to bed linens has introduced me to the gamut of cotton thread counts. High cotton thread counts having a gleam and feel of almost silk.

Linen, so crisp and fresh in the spring and summer.

Wool, the classic standby for those cold winters.

As I went through my wardrobe I realized as I tossed old things in the donation bags to give away, that I continued to set aside the poly blends?

"What gives" I asked myself? They will stand the test of time no doubt but why not the beautiful wool slacks, or the silk camis, or the cotton tees that fit so nicely under a fitted jacket, the fact that I'm wearing cotton at work under the tailored blazer never having to be known?

I chuckled as I challenged myself to understand why. From the time I can remember attending school, I would prepare each school night by laying out my blue checkered polyester skirt, a white cotton blouse (perfectly pressed), and a polyester vest which normally ended up tied around my waist well before the 315pm bell. Next to that I lay cream colored wool knee high socks, saddle shoes, a headband, and my school bag, packed with my books and my homework.

Into high school, it was the same routine, only I mixed it up with crazy colored tights to show my individuality while hiding my pierced navel.

I have a black pair of slacks, size 6, perfect lenght. I've had them for at least five years. These are the poly blend slacks I turn to the mornings I've woken up late and need to rush to work. The front crease more like a permanent dent, one that can stand a five minute fluff in the dryer before I slide them on and pair it with a shell and a blazer and run out the door. If I spill coffee on them, a cotton tissue wipes it away it does not even absorb into the fabric, almost as if they have been sprayed with scotch guard. When I step out of the car and accidentally brush the car and get salt on the leg of the pant a simple slap on the pant and poof, the salt is gone.

As I thought about tossing them into the donation pile, simply because poly is not the most respected fabric, I quickly concluded that there would indeed be future mornings that I would regret that decision.

Its almost midnight and the clock will soon strike 5am. Who knows, maybe I'll slide on those poly blend slacks tomorrow morning. Nah, I'll go with the cream colored wool skirt suit since it will be chilly and my brown enzo pumps since there is no snow. This will look nice with a chocolate brown stocking and my grandmother's gold starburst pin on the lapel.

Although grade school and high school were a number of years ago I would hate to admit, there is a part of me that is still holding on.

2 comments:

Cocaine Princess said...

I wore my heels out today and after wearing boots since October my tootsies felt so good and free. I think I even heard toes all cheer 'hurray!' Unfortunately we are still experiencing Arctic like weather so I won't be wearing linens or silk outside until late May or early June.

That's lovely you wear your grandma's pin. A reminder she's always by your side.

Your new addiction to linens, the higher the thread count the better.

Anonymous said...

This may sound crazy, but I think a lot of people are going to compliment you on the fact that you have worn the same size for five years! That's awesome.

Me, on the other hand... I'm getting more out of shape every day!!!

My vote - keep the polyester!